Skip to main content

Marnong Homestead

Marnong Homestead

William Clarke installed John Edols, a young overseer, in the manager’s hut and by July 1841 he had installed his brother Lewis on the Plover Plains run, across Deep Creek to the west of Bank Vale, and took over Hill Head station to the north.

The earliest part of the homestead, the rear bluestone section, dates to the late 1840s or early ‘50s, and more sections were added by later owners.

In 1863, the Bank Vale property was acquired by grazier Thomas Colclough, who renamed it Green Grove.

Colclough extended the homestead in 1870, adding the front rooms and entrance in the Victorian style of the time to the existing bluestone cottage.

Later owners, including the Angliss family who owned the property for over 60 years, added outbuildings to the property, which remain today, that highlight the estate’s early 20th century farming activities.

The structures include a dairy, granary, shearer’s shed, meat house, milking shed and weigh house, which now form part of the estate’s dining and entertainment areas.

Other structures below the homestead continue to be used for farming today for angus cattle that follows the ‘paddock to plate’ sustainability of Marnong Estate with steaks served in the Bankvale restaurant.

A significant renovation of the estate commenced in 2016 which transformed Marnong into the amazing property it is today.